Downloads... If you own a computer chances are you've downloaded software, but how much do you know about the website you're downloading from? We've all done it... Googled for software, downloaded it, installed it and trusted everything would be fine, BUT, this is not always the case! Trojans, malware or other nasties could be hiding in the installer, ask yourself "why is the software free?" ...granted, sometimes companies monetise their software through advertising and or in-app purchases, but it's always worth reading up on the software you're thinking of installing before you commit.
Top tips for safe downloading of software
- Research the software on other websites and read the feedback.
- Is it Freeware, Shareware, Paid? Know what you're downloading.
- Download from a safe, well trusted website wherever possible.
- Use the store provided by your OS provider, Apple or Windows store for example.
- Before running downloaded installers scan the file with your antivirus/anti-malware software.
- As a general rule only use software you're going to use, this will keep your computer running nice and fast.
- Read the small print - Don't forget there's no such thing as a free lunch!